Monday 30 August 2010

Changing The World One Joke at a Time


 
Daily headlines are the trade could be the trade of this satirical band that hit the Royal Mile. Banned a few years ago from the Fringe because they dare to cross the boundaries most comedians keep hidden in their theatre venue during the Fringe.
“P.S.T, want some radical humour Gov”
The guy’s and this year girl ply their humour just off the High Street. They became my refuge from the hustle and bustle from the Fringe last year. They are like me fringe of The Fringe. They are that break off part of the Fringe; which is an irony of what the Fringe is in itself, a break off from the original Festival.
T.V.G and me are the radical wing version of both our arts. Their theatre venue is the street. They are the commando wing of theatre. Get in get out, take no prisoners.
Me I’m a sniper in photographer form, SAS style, running on twenty hour days. Minimum rations, red bull and chocolate mostly, mixing with the locals you can trust.. I travel alone. Sending my recognisance home in coded blog form daily. Taking on targets others dare to cover. And when there’s too many people about armed like myself I stay away from that topic, at least until it‘s safe. You don’t want to get caught up in an ambush that you can’t get out of.
T.V. G are those people you can trust on the street, and when the call comes through for reinforcements I respond as quick as possible. They are offered by me a safe haven too. Drinking tea makes them stand out in a crowd of us hardy street smart types. But in the past year we have been able to disguise them well.
Armed with a little more than a few placards and a black marker and some bubble wrap. The band of Black Morris Men “We dance with girls” their cry, pounce on the unwary traveller who stifle their laughter as they pass their art. People hide the laugh, because we are taught through the “political correctness brigade” not to laugh.
Out of Work Danish cartoonist,
Please give generously.
“Don’t ban it (we’re talking burka here)
Bubble wrap it.”
Yes they hit the mark, yes the push the boundaries. I loved the one they talked about doing, but didn’t want to offend the “locals.” I thought it was great; and the funny thing was that the Metro headline on the day we talked about “that” gag was of a similar ilk.
T.V.G were back pushing the boundaries and moving them to their will. All I can say is “keep pushing.” You guys (and girl’s) rock. And it’s not one that’s thrown too. And you can read all about that and other stories on their blog.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment